Monday, March 24, 2014

House color scheme inspirations

Brian has been giving me almost complete free range for color choice in the house.  It is just an area he does not have strong opinions, due to his partial color-blindness.

I have been very excited about painting and choosing non-white colors.  The apartments and houses that we have rented have all seemed to have white EVERYWHERE.  We don't have a 30k budget for furnishing/decorating this year and so much of what I have been looking for are DIY/IKEA or paint-centered. Houzz.com has been where I have been getting a bunch of inspiration.

The Master bedroom inspiration:



Beach Style Bedroom by Mount Pleasant Architects & Designers The Anderson Studio of Architecture & Design
 <- Mild Blue, Sherwin Williams, 3 bedroom walls

<- Jonquil, Sherwin Williams, will be Master Bath color

<- Dover White, Sherwin Williams, will be ceiling of most the house

Hallways upstairs & Main wall:
<- Great Green, Sherwin Williams, fillet corner accent wall color in bath & both upstairs & downstairs hallway
Grey and green for upstairs hall bathroom:


<- Silver Plate, Sherwin Williams, all other walls



Modern Bathroom by White Plains Interior Designers & Decorators Luminosus Designs LLC

Black (ok dark grey) & White Bedroom: 
I very much like the theme of trees and I wanted a room that would be almost neutral forest.  I have also had my eye on various tree wall decals.  These two from IKEA cost an order of magnitude less than the other trees I was looking at and I liked them almost as much.  The leaves can be placed in a variety of patterns and I am hoping to have them falling off the tree away from the window.  Like a gust of wind caring them into the house.  
Ikea Mossen Decorative wall sticker and Elsabo



This one has a large tile pattern that I would like to add to the room, but not sure how to incorporate it with the other white/black.  Maybe the wall opposite the tree decal from IKEA?

We currently do not have a guest bed.  As soon as we do, I would like to get white or gray bedding similar to this.

I like the busy geometric pattern wall paper paired with the black & white

We already purchased these curtains from IKEA. :-)
Eivor Curtains, from Ikea

This pillow below was truly the inspiration for the room.
Eivor Cushion, from Ikea



Blue Ceiling Bedroom:
I want to include a blue sky in multiple rooms.  For the upstairs bedroom, I want to add stars in glow in the dark paint.  I'm interested in figuring out the best way to put real constellations up... not sure which part of the night sky I want to be semi-permanent... ideas?
<- Vast Sky SW 6506, Ceiling

<- White Duck SW 7010, Walls







This picture below is WILD and I like the planets and orbits showing but I want a significantly toned down version. Not sure if I want a yellow or white light in this room.
Contemporary Kids by Orlando Design-Build Firms Hobus Homes

Downstairs hallway, outside main half bath:
I would like to use the colors that are spread throughout the house in a similar geometric landscape.  My concern is that there is not sufficient space in the hallway to appreciate a similar piece.

Modern Dining Room by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Jessica Helgerson Interior Design

Half bath on main floor:
I like the idea of a dark half bath that is pictured her (below)

Traditional Powder Room by Rehoboth Beach Home Builders Schell Brothers

I am also drawn to multiple versions of the horizontal yellow/grey lines... I would personally not look good in these horizontal lines as they add width, but for a small room with a relatively tall ceiling I think they might work.






I think this one is my favorite... yellow, green and blue!

Kitchen/Family room:
The other room(s) that I want to put a blue ceiling.  I would use Vast Sky for the ceiling again & White Duck for the long wall & the Mild Blue for the wall with the fireplace.  The wall next to the kitchen I want to have a framed chalkboard paint area.

Farmhouse Kitchen by Minneapolis Architects & Designers Albertsson Hansen Architecture, Ltd


Well, if you made it to the end of this post, you deserve props.  I have been having too much fun playing with bold blues, greens, yellows & grays.  I tried out two purples & one red but can't seem to find I place I want them.

What do you think we should do with our entry/living/dining great room?
ideas?

1 comment:

  1. It is fun looking at the designs you like and that you are free to select colors and themes is amazing! I am drawn to the grey and white bedroom, but it is rather cool in color tones. Yellow and blue is more cheerful and makes me smile more!
    It has always been hard for me to figure out what I like, so I look forward to seeing what you select. I read all the posts so keep the pictures and ideas coming!!

    ReplyDelete