Monday, May 26, 2014

Detail Work

Yesterday Brianna helped me re-install the ceiling fan in the living room:


I bought a combined light-and-fan-control switch, which includes a dimmer function. The CFLs we have don't work with dimmers, and we're out of Cree LED bulbs, so there are incandescents in there for the time being. Unfortunately, one of them exploded the second time it was turned on:


Fortunately, all the glass landed on painter's plastic, so I was able to just roll up the plastic and throw it all in the garbage.

We also put a lot of finishing touches on the hallway.


I re-installed the Nest Protect smoke alarm, installed a new light fixture (which matches the ones in the kitchen) and replaced the return-air grill in the lower right corner. I wound up cutting off the old security system control panel, putting up a low-profile conduit box, and wrapping the spare wire inside of it. I'm not sure what I'll use the wire for eventually, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

While I was doing all that, Brianna took pity on me, and did all the taping work yesterday, taping off the trim in the kitchen. Once the trim is painted, we can start moving things back into the room, and the house will look a little less like a construction zone.

I was planning to do some electrical work (replacing switches) in the afternoon, but it started to thunderstorm, so we went to see the latest X-men movie instead. Brianna and I both enjoyed it! Wish they could get the X-men back into the Marvel Movie universe so they could tie-in with the Avengers, but oh well, it was still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment