Monday, May 12, 2014

Eating Crow

Dang. My dislike of Comcast is no longer (recently) justified.

Uncle Bill suggested that there was probably a short between my modem and Comcast's amplifier, and said to call in a service team (And Uncle Bill knows a thing or two about computer networks). I really hate calling Comcast, and thus had a strong incentive to think how I could fix it myself.

The entire house has coax outlets, and a lot of it looks like it was done by the previous owners, particularly in the basement. I disconnected all the splitters I could find in the basement, and I'm pretty sure the only coax outlet that's still currently working in the entire house is the one the modem is connected to. Between removing all the extraneous copper and rebooting a few systems, I got the following result, at 6:45 in the evening local time:


Pretty hard to complain about those numbers. I guess it wasn't actually Comcast's fault at all.

1 comment:

  1. Glad it worked out. If the coax isn't grounded properly, the coax acts like a big antenna picking up all sorts of local radio/tv stations which causes noise on the frequency comcast runs ethernet over...causing a bazillion (tech term) resends of packets which slows down the whole process.....thus ends the geek lesson :)

    ReplyDelete