Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Upstairs Hallway Lights


So these two lights have been causing problems.

Initially, the two Cree bulbs I had in there made too much buzzing noise on the dimmer switch - enough that Brianna told me flat-out I had to do something about it.

I switched them with two other Cree bulbs, and had no problems - they were perfectly silent. I shrugged and figured the first pair of bulbs must have been from the lot of bulbs I bought from a sketchy eBay seller, and the new ones must have been from Home Depot. But, after a few weeks, the new pair started to flicker. THAT was really annoying.

Now I'm trying out a pair of Philips Slimstyle LEDs in these light fixtures (I've wanted to try out some of these for a while)


But these bulbs are some how illuminating even when the switch is OFF! Sometimes it's one bulb, and sometimes the other. It seems to happen shortly after the switch is turned off. At this point I suspect there is something wrong with the switch, but the fact that only one or the other bulb will do this illuminating-without-power trick has me flummoxed. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. What happens when you put - gasp! - regular incandescent bulbs in the lamps? I suspect your dimmer and would replace it with a simple on/off and see if the LEDs work correctly. You could also (carefully) measure the voltages at each lamp. I would suggest you remove the lamp from the wall and measure at the wires rather than trying to measure at the bulb socket. Good luck. Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Dad. I spent yesterday working on the toilet, but I'll break out my voltmeter in the near future.

      Delete