Thursday, October 23, 2014

Reading Physical Books

I've been reading physical books recently, and I don't like it.

The books keep trying to close while I'm reading, there’s no built-in light, the ink lifts off onto my thumb and is subsequently smeared across the page (I don't dare read a paperback while working out at the gym – there would be no legible text left on the page!), the contrast on cheap paperbacks isn't much better than on a Kindle (and worse than on a smartphone or tablet), story immersion is limited to a single object (no syncing between “devices”), and I don’t carry books with me everywhere like I do my phone (well, not since I got my first smartphone, anyway).

And since the FAA lifted the ban on electronic devices during take off and landing, there really hasn't been a time when I couldn't read on an electronic device (the few times I've read in the tub, I just throw the Kindle inside a ziplock – works great).

I know  a lot of people love the experience of reading physical books. I used to be one of them. I always thought reading ebooks was more convenient, but I didn't realize I had transitioned to thinking ebooks were better until I went back to physical books.

I don't think I'll be buying many more physical books, unless maybe I want to show them off on my bookshelves. Anyway, rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment