Friday, February 19, 2016

Bloomsky Weather Station

BloomSky is a weather forecasting startup that debuted on Kickstarter in 2014. Their shtick is "hyper local" weather forecasting, using a multitude of small, personal-size weather stations, rather than big expensive Doppler radars.

The weather station records temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, UV exposure, and precipitation, as well as taking photos of the sky at 5-minute intervals. The photos are combined into a timelapse at the end of the day.

In order to expand their network outside of San Francisco, BloomSky is offered free weather stations to people willing to host and provide internet access to the weather station. I signed up, and received mine yesterday (I paid $20 to cover shipping).

Per the agreement I signed, I have to keep the weather station working and publicly available on BloomSky's network for 6 months after delivery, and then it's mine free and clear.

I set up a guest wifi network just for the weather station. The included solar panel means I have a lot of flexibility on where I install the weather station, but I may wind up just running power to it for reliability.




I'll do a more permanent install this weekend. The goal is to keep it where it can't be seen from the sidewalk to avoid any potential hassles with the HOA.


And that's the view from the app! Once the weather station is permanently installed, the deck railing should no longer be visible, and I'm hoping we'll be able to see the soccer fields on the other side of the fence.

If you're interested in seeing what the weather is like at our house, here's the iPhone App and the Android App - we're the "Cherry Creek, Parker" weather station in Parker, Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment