Sunday, April 3, 2016

LEGOS in the Aquarium

The fish tank has been empty for a couple months now. A few weeks ago, we started the arduous process of cleaning out the aquarium. I quickly lost track of how many fish skeletons I found in the aquarium gravel.

This morning, I finally called it "good enough", and put in a number of my Star Wars Lego sets that I've collected over the years:


I probably need to do another pass with windex, but I was ready to take a break from the fish tank for a while.

Eventually, I'd like to have some of the space ships suspended with fishing line, but that will be a project for another day.

I did do one cool thing, though:


See the little cylinder hanging from the ceiling in the top right corner of that photo? That's a motion sensor, and it controls the light in the fish tank.

Specifically, I dug out my Wemo motion sensor and smart plug, and paired them for this task. I had packed them away because they don't really play nicely with the rest of my home automation stuff, but this is a fairly stand-alone application, and it feels good to have them do something beyond gathering dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment