Monday, June 23, 2014

Smart Sprinkler System

We started our built-in sprinkler system the weekend before last, and discovered one of the sprinkler head was completely busted. This past weekend we replaced it.


In all our water bills up to this point, actual water usage has amounted to less than 10% of the total bill. Now, though, we have gallons and gallons and gallons of water flowing out onto the grass, and I can literally hear it flowing through the pipes when I'm in the basement.

I am very curious how much water the irrigation system is going to use (but not curious enough, apparently, to actually make a note of the water meter before and after the sprinklers run). After we get the next month's water bill, we can maybe make some estimates about whether a smart sprinkler system that can track weather and the amount of water in the soil, understands the neighborhood watering schedule, and can be programmed via a phone or iPad app (right now, I think that last feature is worth at least $100 to Brianna. I think I heard her swearing at the current sprinkler timer system!) would be worth the purchase price.


Off the top of my head, the Iro (made by a company called Rachio) is the only smart, WiFi-connected sprinkler controller that's currently available for less than $500 (it's $250). Anyone know of any alternatives? SkyDrop is another option I've been tracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment