Sunday, August 17, 2014

Speaking of Ceiling Lights...

This morning, Brianna noticed that one of the lights in the stairwell to the basement had burnt out. I took off the cover, and just about recoiled in disgust.


It's hard to tell in the photo, but either those wires were never insulated, or the insulation has completely fallen apart. I tried to unscrew the burnt-out lightbulb, and only twisted the whole assembly.

Later, out of morbid curiosity, I flipped the switch and got a shower of sparks.

So, yeah. The switch is duct-taped into the "off" position, and I'll swing by IKEA tomorrow and buy a new light fixture - at full price if necessary - to get this hunk of junk replaced.

Incidentally, aside from ceiling fans and can lights, I think this is the last light fixture still in use that came with the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment