Friday, August 22, 2014

Workshop Mess

Currently, our internet equipment (cable modem and wifi-router) are in the basement guest bedroom. I've slept down there a couple of times, and the little blinky LEDs make it hard for me to fall asleep. I usually just unplug the power strip.

Since Ellora is sleeping down there this weekend, I resolved to finish putting up pegboard in my workshop, install a shelf, and move the cable modem and wifi router on to that shelf. I've been meaning to do this for months, but above-ground-level projects have always taken precedence.

I started off by clearing all the crap out of the corner, until I could see all my boxes of books again.


Since there was an extra electrical box there, I decided to throw an outlet it in. During the course of that installation, I discovered that nothing downstream of that box was grounded, which included the outlet I had been using for tools in the shop. Gah!

Unfortunately, when I fixed the grounding issue, something created a short, tripping the circuit breaker.

The wires in the box are a mess, and there is no slack coming into the box. I figure I'm going to have rewire at least two boxes, which is also going to involve taking down at least one sheet of pegboard that's already up.

At that point I lost motivation for the rest of my friday evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment