Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Winterizing the Outdoor Faucets

Well, I screwed up.

I knew we had so-called "frost proof" faucets on the outside of our house. So I didn't worry about them when the cold snap happened last week.

But when I tried to fill up the chickens' water dispenser this morning I saw that I forgot to remove the garden hose, which prevents the water in the faucet from draining.


Most of the websites I visited said this most likely means I have a cracked pipe in my (drywalled) basement wall now. But at least the crack will be downstream of the valve seat, which means as long as the faucet is turned off, no water will leak into the house.

Today, the temperature got all the way up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I was able to get water flowing out of the faucet when I turned it on after work. Was the water pressure as high as it used to be, indicating there is no crack...?

I don't know. I'd like to think so.

I am very tempted to just tie the faucet into the "off" position, and ignore this (potential) problem til spring.

Does anyone with frost-proof faucets want to chime in with advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment