Monday, April 20, 2015

Smart Home Woes IV

I got the smartphone aspect of our Zwave network working again. Turns out there is a very specific naming convention that must be followed for all the Zwave devices, and everyone thought it was too obvious to say so explicitly.

Along the way to that discovery, I learned a lot of interesting things, including how to access the Nest system from my Zwave network. There's a lot of changes I want to make to the smartphone interface as well. And I haven't even scratched the surface of actually automating the house (everything has just been remote-control so far).

Buuuuuut things are actually mostly working at the moment (except for the front porch light - no idea why that refuses to cooperate), and I'm kinda scared that if I start tinkering again, things will break for another week.

Ah, well. In a week or two, my itch to tinker should overcome my fear of breaking the network.

No comments:

Post a Comment