Monday, August 4, 2014

Master Bedroom Air Conditioning

Our wonderful HOA has rules against window AC units. I was hoping to wait until after our chicken coop was approved, then put our window AC unit in a discreet side window and hope for the best. But, it doesn't seem that is going to happen in the time frame I was hoping for.

In googling around for solutions, I discovered that pot growers have been using window AC units as indoor/portable units for awhile, to keep their grow rooms cool. We are growing a baby, and it turns out it needs to be kept cool, as well (or at least Brianna does, if I'm going to have any chance of sleeping myself).


This afternoon, I set up our AC unit to run inside.




Once I bent the case back into place, the whole thing came together pretty easily.

The window fan pumps outdoor air into one of the intake grills - the rest of the outdoor intakes are blocked off. The hot air vent (the entire rear section of the AC unit) is aimed directly outside through the window screen - no additional air redirection involved.

It's ugly, but it seems to be working. It's chugging along now, blowing cold air directly at the bed, which feels pretty nice. It has only dropped the overall temperature in the room by 1 degree in the hour it's been running, though.

I didn't make any allowances for condensation in this set up. Once I see a small puddle of water, I'll have a better idea how to handle that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment